Lean Facilities: Training
Value Stream / 3P Process
Our process is a collaborate based process that engages architects, health care providers, patients, and families to really look at what is needed to provide healthcare facilities design with understanding the patient journey and inform the design of program space to support removing non value added waste at every step of the journey. Together, we will create a Value Stream/3P process that supports development of required future space within Lean processes and that coordinates planning work across many departments, functions and organizations. The Value Stream/3P process outlined here provides an opportunity to see the complexity of the current state and see the waste that conflicting or competing performance objectives creates. The Value Stream analysis is critical to focus the 3P activities in the proper areas of concern plus allows us to use the level of ‘visualization’ necessary. The event will center on understanding what creates value and what needs to change – aligning with the major challenges identified in the health care delivery and align these with clear and common objectives to improve these horizontal processes.
The Value Stream/3P process outlined provides the steps to move from isolated individual based Lean deployment to a patient focused synergistic ‘system’ to aid in understanding how patients move across and between service areas or departments. The outcome of our service will support the quality improvement journey of health providers through knowledge transfer to assist in the creation of a self-sustainable improvement system. Customized implementation and training support will be built into the methodology and to meet each health providers’ unique differences along with their level of understanding of Lean deployment in the planning and design of their facilities.
Overview of Value Stream/3P methodology
- An understanding of the goals to achieve a Patient Focused, system wide approach
- Clearly articulate/communicate Value Stream/3P scope/goal to the “whole” team
- Recognize that the world will not stop while we envision the future
- Respect that when we are together time is a scarce commodity
- Participation from patients is essential
- Standard work is necessary for efficiency
- Flexibility is achieved by breaking down department barriers
- Interdisciplinary groups should always design processes and facilities
- Visualization is a key to understanding flow and processes
- Simulation at all levels is enlightening, it changes peoples’ views on seeing the patient journey as flow – waste is made visible and staff find that at the end they think from a patient perspective – often employing changes as “quick wins” immediately on their units.
- Our Value Stream/3P Implementation Plan includes an understanding of the required tools, people, impact, timeline and support required
3P Guiding Principles
CPD will provide Value Stream/3P with the objective of applying this methodology within the project framework to realize significant and continuous improvements in access, performance and productivity. We support our client’s approach to creating transformational change grounded in five core principles:
- Continuous Improvement
- ‘Go and See’
- Respect for People
Lean & Green™
For decades, Lean has addressed the consumption issue head on. By reducing waste, companies improve their economic and environmental performance simultaneously. When organizations apply Lean, they save energy, space, materials, and human resources while improving their cost efficiency, speed of delivery and quality.
Ultimately, they improve their social and environmental track record while dramatically boosting their bottom line.
Becoming truly green is a transformation involving every employee in the organization.